No more guest posting...

This is the base channel for all your chit-chat banter.

Moderator: Moderators

Obvious
Obviously the Site Admin
MySpace ID: djobvious25
PLURspace ID: obvious
Crew's Name: WhaddupNow.com

No more guest posting...

Post by Obvious »

You can go ahead and thank all the internet spammers for that one...

It's just so sad that people result to such retarded lame things. :(

Make sure that when you do register for these boards that you do put in a valid e-mail address so that the forum conformation will be sent to you! If you are having problems with not receiving the e-mail make sure you send me an e-mail to forums ( -at- ) whaddupnow ( >dot< ) com, and I'll fix it. :)
Last edited by Obvious on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaDMAn

Post by MaDMAn »

finally, glad you came down on the issue
MaDMAn via [E-Tard] Unicorn aka Thumper
P.L.U.R.R. DanceSafe
MaDMAn wrote:
PassWord wrote: "What do We do if it Starts Raining?"
"Take more Drugs, Put on Your Gear n Dance!"
Obvious
Obviously the Site Admin

Post by Obvious »

I still need to figure out how to stop the user spam, but at least the forum spam will clean up a bit. I had wanted to keep it open to guests so that everyone could post no matter where they were, but I don't like cleaning up 10 posts of crap spam a day. :(

Once I figure out how to qualm the new user creation spam I'll be set. :)
PASSWORD
WhaddupNow Member

Post by PASSWORD »

ive got to wonder where the money is in spamming web forums... its not like any of us look at it anyways, we see the words old, interracial, and asian, relize its spam, and then go to the next topic. where is the money in posting shit everyone dosnt even look at?
|@|PASSWORD|@|
P.L.U.R.R
Obvious
Obviously the Site Admin

Post by Obvious »

It's not so much for human use, it's for web search ranking.

You see, if there are thousands of websites that link to your page the search engines think, "Shit...this person's site is hot! Off the charts! Damn, I bet everyone's looking to find this site so I'll go ahead and increase it's search ranking!"

So, if you create a simple program that searches out any sites that have certain web applications that they can exploit, you simply run a program on your computer and let it do the work for you. After a month of letting it run You'll have twenty-bazillion sites affected and your ranking on search engines is insane.

Honestly it's smart programing and thought, but it's fucking LAMECORE when you have to deal with it. It's sucks in the end for the end users, not the spammers, because we end up having to pay for more staff to be employed to combat all the new spamming techniques.

I believe in mass mailing if they are a true mailing distributor. If you were on a list, and they have a real way to discontinue being on the list, rather then having them just verify that you are a real e-mail address and then sell those addresses to other companies to spam you more, then I have no problem. Personally I think that you should have to double opt-in rather then double opt-out. /shrug
PASSWORD
WhaddupNow Member

Post by PASSWORD »

/spammacro, lol, its funny cause i play wow, and people set up macro's that every 5 minutes it tells everyone on the general chat what they have for sell, people put alot of effort into that game, anyone else play?
|@|PASSWORD|@|
P.L.U.R.R
MaDMAn

Post by MaDMAn »

no. neither u nor saturday will convince us purely ravas to play your evil game of addiction, lol
P.L.U.R.R. DanceSafe
MaDMAn wrote:
MaDMAn

Post by MaDMAn »

Obvious wrote:I still need to figure out how to stop the user spam, but at least the forum spam will clean up a bit. I had wanted to keep it open to guests so that everyone could post no matter where they were, but I don't like cleaning up 10 posts of crap spam a day. :(

Once I figure out how to qualm the new user creation spam I'll be set. :)
maybe you can add one of those things where it makes you fill in a box with random letters n numbers that bots can't fill out since its an image, and then make people confirm the email addy they registered with

might get annoying but shouldnt hurt user signups too much

gl
P.L.U.R.R. DanceSafe
MaDMAn wrote:
Obvious
Obviously the Site Admin

Post by Obvious »

That's called visual conformation and yes, it's already implemented. People can sign up and there's not much that anyone can do about it. It primarily defers the bots but I think even now people have made bots smarter to be able and read some of these visual conformation things...least I think...that's crazy but...who knows. :p

Most spammers use bogus e-mail addresses so they never get activated but they can still show their web site link, which gets indexed by google, so unless I want to mod it that only active people show up, that's one more thing for them to cheat with. I personally think that it should be an option in phpBB. And actually thinking about it, it will be in the 3.0.x release.

I'm just waiting....it's going to be bomb!

Then I get to overhaul the forum and make a new style. :p
MaDMAn

Post by MaDMAn »

damn sounds good

gl

and i swear i will help one of these days

*stares at his blank calendar*
P.L.U.R.R. DanceSafe
MaDMAn wrote: